Sama Rice Pulao
Navratri is considered as an important sacred festival in the Hindu religion. Navratri worships Goddess Durga and her various forms which are the epitomes of power and have the ability to bring in anything desired.
Method to prepare Pulao
1. Thoroughly rinse sama rice under tap water before cooking. Set it aside to drain. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add cashews and saute for 3 to 4 minutes, until cashews are light brown. Remove and set them aside.
2. On same pan add diced potatoes and cook until tender.
3. Add peanuts and cook for another 2-3 minutes until potatoes are slightly browned.
4. Add rinsed millets (sama rice) to the pan along with buttermilk.
5. Stir in the spices and mix to combine.
6. Bring it to a boil. When water is reduced to half, lower the flame.
7. Cover the pan and let the millets steam for 2-3 minutes. After the cooking time is over, remove the pan from heat.
Top with cashews, Vrat chutney, curd and serve hot
1~ Easily digestible.
2~ High nutritional value.
3~ Rich in fibre.
4~ Healthy alternative
5~ Provides energy.
6~ Sama Rice is gluten free.
7~ Less in calorie.
Ingredients for Pulao
1. ¾ cup Barnyard millet (Sama Rice)
2. 1½ cup buttermilk
3. 1 small Potato (cubed)
4. 1 small Chopped green chili
5. ½ teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
6. 1 teaspoon Dried mint leaves, crushed
7. 6 pieces of Cashews
8. 1½ tablespoon Peanuts
9. Salt sendha namak
10. 1½ tablespoon Oil